30 March 2008

FIRST TRIP TO THE ZOO

There are many, various things I’ve never done. I’ve never gone to the zoo, I’ve never purchased a souvenir during a trip to the zoo, and I’ve never owned a ticket stub for a ticket to the zoo. That’s why, last week, my friends and I decided to go to the zoo for the first time.

You can’t just dive right into a zoo trip, as you would a 7-year PhD program or a divorce. You have to prepare and start early. The day of the trip, we awoke at the crack of dawn, since our zoo opens at half past dawn. As we piled into the car, my friend Bobby called “Shotgun”, and I called “Uzi”; I always beat Bobby at the game of naming the biggest gun.

The first exhibit we saw at the zoo was the ticket-taker’s cage. I was impressed: she seemed docile and well trained. And if the zoo could tame the fiery and free spirit of a young human woman, I thought, they could tame anything.

To cool off in the middle of the day, we stopped by the underwater animals exhibit. I learned from the information plaque that fish first appeared during the Jurassic Period, in what I assume were Parks. Unfortunately, most of the fish at our zoo were too shy to come onto land, so we couldn’t pet them. I wondered why the word “zoo” is short for “petting zoo”, since I was the only visitor who had pet anything all day.

I even enjoyed the zoo animals that most people find unpleasant. I mean, bats are fascinating. Did you know that bats are color-blind? They’re also picture-blind. I guess you could just say they’re “blind”. The insect exhibit, next door to the bats, was also great. My favorite insect was the fly, since its name is what it does.

Before we knew it, it was time to get in the car and head home. This time, Bobby called “Front Seat”, and I called “Driver’s Seat.” I always beat Bobby at the game of naming the seat on the left side of the car. When I look back on it, my trip to the zoo was fabulous from start to finish. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the sights and sounds of the zoo, and to a lesser extent, the smells, tastes, and feels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home